Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel

I have been hearing raves about this book for so long, and summer seemed like the perfect time to finally pick up Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette. I must say--not overrated.

Bernadette is deeply loved by her family, revered by architects in training everywhere, and hated by the mothers at her daughter's private school. To the outsider, it also appears that she is losing her mind. When she disappears after scheduling her daughter's dream trip to Antarctica, destroying a neighbor's home, and accidentally embroiling her family in an FBI sting, her daughter, knowing she is as sane as can be, searches the depths of the earth for her.

This was a roaring, outlandish, laugh-out-loud roll in the hay and I loved every second of it. Semple has created a team of characters that can out-comedy the greatest comedian you can find. Which should be no shock; she was a writer on Arrested Development. I could not stop giggling at the incredibly smart and sharp-witted dialogue and narration.

If you can find someone on earth who is not smitten with Bernadette, please do let me know. She is a genius who currently uses her smarts for outwitting the "gnats" who overpopulate the activities at her daughter's school. Bernadette is not interested in playing the game or blowing smoke up anyone's rear end; she is just herself even when she is hated for it. I loved the storyline; I loved the wit and the glorious attitude of Bernadette and her family; but most of all, I loved Bernadette.

I also love laughing out loud, which is also a main reason why I loved this book.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right. Why aren't you buying right now?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment