Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, October 14, 2013

The October List

I wanted a good mystery to keep my brain occupied, hence Jeffery Deaver's The October List.

Gabriela's life has been turned upside down. Her boss has fled the country with millions in client money--leaving her shell-shocked and without a job--and her daughter has been kidnapped by one of the angry clients who is holding her for ransom. He also wants the October List, a secret list of power players. What the list means is a mystery to everyone, but everyone seems to want it. As the clock counts down, can Gabriela and her very new man-friend, Daniel, rustle up the money and save her daughter? What kind of a game is this?

The end comes before the beginning. What I mean by this is that the book works backwards through time, beginning with the end. I felt a little perplexed at first, not because of the structure but because it felt like I knew the end of the story--which was pretty final--going through the book. It turns out, however, that I really had no clue about the truth of the story. That was the most fascinating part of this book--how it made me doubt the storytelling abilities of Deaver then smacked me on the back of the head right when I thought I understood.

I will forewarn you that this is not the most deep storytelling I have ever read, but I certainly had fun with the plot and the characters. I was surprised by the ending and I was happy I stuck with it through the finish. This book would make a great vacation book; it is interesting and engrossing while allowing you to stop when you need to and pick it back up as needed. I love these types of books when I travel. I also appreciate being entertained in a concise fashion, making Deaver's latest a fun and worthy read.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment