Featured Post

Happy 6th Birthday, SPR!

As of my "maternity leave," here are the stats of the past year: 74 books reviewed 9 guest posts 4 independent bookstores 3 d...

Friday, July 13, 2012

Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture

It's Celebrity Memoir Friday!!!  I love CMF.  Today's selection is Andy Cohen's Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture.  Oh, you know how much I love my Housewives.  And I love Andy too.

This book is exactly what you think it is.  Andy explores his life from childhood onward--his acknowledgement and acceptance of his sexual orientation, his addiction to talking, and his mad love of Susan Lucci.  He tells all (well, all he can) about the Real Housewives franchise as well as his time at CBS This Morning and at TRIO, the cable network shut down too soon.

Out of all of the celebrity memoirs I have read in recent years, this one is probably one of my favorites.  One of my most hated memoir-trappings is when a celebrity goes super in-depth into their childhood--look, it's not that I don't care, I'm sure it was meaningful/horrible/noteworthy and all but I am reading your memoir for the juicy bits.  Andy (we are totes on a first name basis) only tells you what you need to know about his childhood, then he gets to the goods.  Thank you, Andy!  (You like how I just gave him a shout out as if he will actually read this???)

I will not lie--I skipped to the Housewives parts first.  However, there was much more to Andy's story.  His time at CBS is fascinating and eye-opening, and I loved hearing about his perspective.  Producing is not easy work, but Andy gets down to business and never feels sorry for himself.  His coming out story is also quite touching.

Seriously, though, folks, this is worth a read if you love pop culture, or Andy Cohen, or celebrity memoirs, or just reading in general.  Now that I have finished the book I will spend the evening catching up on this season's new Real Housewives of New York cast.  Was there any doubt that I wouldn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment