I cannot, for the life of me, remember how I heard about The Moment: Wild, Poignant, Life-Changing Stories from 125 Writers and Artists Famous & Obscure edited by Larry Smith. I am glad I found it though. It made my weekend.
This book is made up of 125 (plus one) essays of life-changing moments in each writer's life. Some are as profound as the birth of a child, and others are as wonderful as a conversation with a parent. Some are funny and some are sad. But each and every essay is focused on the moment the writer learned something about either themselves or the world around them.
I had a ball with this book over the weekend. I loved being able to bounce around essays and not necessarily having to read it front to back. I was able to find writers that I already love and to discover new writers I will grow to love. The bios in the back provided me with no less than five books I would now like to check out from the library. I loved how short and to the point these essays were; I was never bored.
This book got me thinking, and I appreciate when that happens. It inspired me to write about the moment of my own life. What it is, I will never tell. Unless, of course, it's published. Then I will pass it on. Find this book, ingest it, then find your own moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment