Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Still Missing: A Novel

Lately I have been needing books that are easy reads. That is in no way meant to be insulting; in fact, I live for these books. While at the beach for a dear friend's bachelorette party, I found a used bookstore right next door to our condo. Of course on a rainy Saturday I made us all go check in, and that is how I got my hands on Chevy Stevens' Still Missing.

Annie O'Sullivan's life is moving along just fine. After a fight with her mother on the way to her open house (sell it!), her only goal is to find a buyer for this place and make it to dinner on time with her boyfriend. This, however, is not meant to be. Annie is abducted from the open house and taken to a cabin in the woods outfitted especially for her. Who is this man who abducted her, the man she calls The Freak? Why did he choose her especially? As her year in captivity soldiers on, Annie must adjust to her new life of military-precision schedule (including peeing at certain intervals in the day) and a lack of fresh air. How does she get away, and how will she rebuild her life?

I'm not giving away any spoilers when I tell you that she does, in fact, get away. We know this because the first chapter opens with her speaking to her therapist about the abduction. Annie is working on putting her life back together, albeit begrudgingly, because how on earth do you do that? I love Chevy Stevens. I only recently discovered her when I picked up an interesting-looking book at BEA last year, and then I wondered where this woman has been all of my life. She is a frightening author -- I told my friends in the bookstore that if you want to never be able to sleep alone again, you should read Chevy. I stand by this statement after reading this.

Now, I will say that there was a plot point near the end that I felt was a bit contrived, and no, I won't tell you what it is because it is a bit of a surprise, but other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and was really happy to have something to take my mind off of a long weekend at home with my family. Chevy comes up with great plots that on one hand make me really want to be friends with her and on the other make me really never want to meet her. This story was incredibly creepy; when Annie first makes it to the cabin and finds everything padlocked and hard, melamine-like plastic, I was incredibly freaked out for her. When The Freak starts asking very specific creepy things from her, I was also creeped out. And when Annie had to do what she had to do to keep him happy, my heart broke for her. All in all, it was a book I was happy to have spent time in and, if you are a fan, worth your time as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment