Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, March 14, 2014

Who Killed My Daughter?

I was a fan of Lois Duncan growing up, so when I saw on Amazon that she wrote Who Killed My Daughter?, an account of her search for answers in her daughters murder, I scooped it up.

Kaitlyn leaves her parents home to visit a friend. Hours later her parents are informed that her daughter has been murdered--shot to death in what appears to be a drive-by shooting as she was sitting at the wheel of her car at a stop light. Lois Duncan, famous young adult author and devoted family woman, doesn't believe that this was random--at least not based on the evidence. She begins a decades-long journey to prove Kaitlyn's boyfriend was behind the murder, and to make the police believe this was more than meets the eye.

This was a truly heartbreaking story--a young woman cut down in her prime, only 18 years old, and because she truly wanted to come clean from the aid she was giving her boyfriend, a member of the Vietnamese mob. I won't get too into specifics here, as you should read the book yourself, but let's just say it involves felonious car accidents and massive payouts. She just wanted to turn around some not-so-great decisions, and instead was hunted down after living in fear.

Duncan wrote this book in as close to real time as possible; not long after the investigation began Duncan started writing this book in hopes that publishing it would bring to light facts that the police were not releasing. Desperately hoping that someone would come forward with information that would corroborate what Kait's family knew to be facts, this book was published in 1992 and the murder remains unsolved to this day. I found the family's initial skepticism and later acceptance of psychics to be really interesting; whether or not I believe is beside the point. It heightens the story and made me think about possibilities outside of the norm.

Kindle on left, hard copy on right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment