Featured Post

Happy 6th Birthday, SPR!

As of my "maternity leave," here are the stats of the past year: 74 books reviewed 9 guest posts 4 independent bookstores 3 d...

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Price of Everything

The Price of Everything: Solving the Mystery of Why We Pay What We Do by Eduardo Porter hit my itch for a nonfiction learning piece.

Why do we pay what we do--for everything?  What is the cost of human life as established by governments or by insurance companies?  What is the cost of living, depending on where you live in the world, and how does that effect the value of our lives?  Why are we willing to spend $5 on a latte from a company that is a few miles away from a closer coffee shop--where the latte is $4?  All of these important thoughts sum up in a nutshell the questions that Porter asks.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly as I often enjoy psychologically-based pieces that teach me something about the way I, and in turn the world, work.  I found the peculiarities of so many people I know and so many I don't to be easy to relate to--because I have made similar choices.  It's a little satisfying to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment