Theodore Quester's Shots is the story of Nic, a young man who just wants to stop slinging "product". He gets wrapped up in some monster stuff--his picture-perfect brother's complicated relationships, his parents anger and frustration at his drug bust, selling his car to a major drug dealer, and two murderous brothers who happen to be his suppliers. Needless to say, these few days are not Nic's finest. When the major drug dealer comes calling for his payout, Nic faces his greatest obstacle--surviving.
This book has an interesting set-up with Nic's desire to leave the drug business. He has recently been busted by the cops and he owes the crazy Martinez Gonzales brothers a ton of money. The story starts strong and grabbed my attention early. I enjoyed the relationship between Nic and his brother Bobby which is solidified over learning to make espresso with the best equipment possible. Things are not always peachy in sibling relationships, but it was clear that Nic wanted to make things right with his brother.
The subtitle for this book is, "A highly caffeinated thriller," and this comes in quite a bit in the book. Coffee is almost another character in this piece. There were times near the end of the book when I wanted to scream, "Enough with the coffee!" as it sometimes took focus away from the action in the scene. However, I will say it is an interesting way to integrate an inanimate character into this world where so many of the characters are flawed--coffee was often the only one that kept its cool.
It was also interesting reading about another side of Austin, Texas, where the story takes place. I have loved my time spent in Austin but I really only got to the visitor's side. If you are interested in reading this for yourself, you can purchase the electronic book on Amazon for the amazing price of $2.99. Not a bad deal, I tell you.

No comments:
Post a Comment