Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Book Expo America 2013

Every year in late May, Book Expo America comes to town. It’s the world’s largest trade show for books, and this was my first year in attendance. I was super excited to go. Because I started a summer job the week of BEA I was only able to attend on Saturday, but what a day it was!

It was a pleasure to meet so many publishers with whom I have had the distinct pleasure of reading and reviewing their work. A huge thank you to all of the publishers who trust me with their book babies—it means so much to be able to do what I love to do on this blog. (And of course, I love my readers hard-core too!)

 
It was books galore. I was able to get my mitts on some of the books I have been dying to read, namely The Testing, of which I read an excerpt a few months back and have been wanting to sink my eyeballs into.

There were many other autographs to be had, and most books I took away will show up on this blog over the next few months. I am so appreciative of all the authors who took the time to come out and sign books, meet with fans, and converse with the public who so adores them. 

Speaking of which, even though I had already read and reviewed Transatlantic the day before I attended BEA, I waited on line in order to meet this beautiful man and snag an unblemished copy of one of the most beautiful books I have read of late. Also, the autograph didn't hurt.


I was as giddy as a preteen at a Justin Bieber concert with a free t-shirt. 

The other great thing I did while there was attend a panel on book clubs with Wally Lamb and Elizabeth Gilbert. I love them both, with The Hour I First Believed (Lamb) and Committed (Gilbert) particularly sticking out as some favorites, and while I don’t really do book clubs I wanted to hear them speak. In particular, I wanted to hear them speak about their new books! It was a great discussion and both Mr. Lamb and Ms. Gilbert are superb human beings. I love writers who are kind and appreciative of their fans, and both stayed after for the reception and spoke with those of us in attendance. If, on a one-in-a-million chance either of you are reading this—you both are my heroes. Thank you for your love!

I took this picture for my mama, an Eat, Pray, Love fan. Thank you Ms. Gilbert, for being awesome!

Overall it was a great experience, and I am super pumped to go all three days next year, plus attend the bloggers conference. If you are in the New York City area and are interested in attending, BEA does a “Power Reader” day where you as a reader with no affiliation with an organization can register and attend on the last day of the  conference. You should consider it!

I am on to more books now. I love summer reading, don't you?

The loot!

No comments:

Post a Comment