Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, June 3, 2013

Antonia Lively Breaks the Silence: A Novel

I remember reading the description for David Samuel Levinson's Antonia Lively Breaks the Silence, but I don't think I knew entirely what I was getting myself into.

Catherine moved to Winslow, the small, sleepy college town, for love. Her husband, Wyatt, was novelist who taught at the college until the night he died in a suspicious car accident. A year and a half later Catherine is still working at the local bookstore and grieving for the loss of her love when suddenly a former flame rears his ugly head though Antonia Lively, a beautiful young woman about to be the toast of the New York literary community. But odd things start happening surrounding Antonia's arrival, and no one may ever be the same.

Like I said, I didn't know quite what I was getting myself into. I am so thankful that I didn't walk into this book with previously held expectations because I really did love it for exactly what it is. It's a story that unfolds chapter by chapter in the most intriguing way possible, keeping me fully engaged in the story without telling me everything and heightening the narrative as it goes along. Never once did Levinson assume I was any less smart than I am; he clearly trusted me to hang on with patience for my reward.

I was certainly rewarded with a well-thoughout-out, clearly planned, and inspiring book that made me fall as desperately in love with the title character as did everyone else around her in the narrative. Antonia Lively is created as such a full and lovely character that I felt drawn in by her charisma much as was the town of Winslow. How fascinating this woman was and how badly I understood Catherine's desire in her friendship; I can't say I would have been much different. I loved the intrigue in the story that kept me coming back--the narrative was like a ball of yarn that would not stop unraveling. It was astounding.

I have been recommending this book left and right since I picked it up. I now recommend it to you. This would make an excellent book club pick or just a nice rainy day read by the fire with a warm cup of tea.

You too can dive in! Kindle on the left, hard copy on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment