Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, January 20, 2014

A Bad Idea I'm About to Do

I read a list some time ago about the funniest memoirs around, and Chris Gethard's A Bad Idea I'm About to Do was on there. I can't remember where or when I read it, but I'm certainly glad I did for this reading experience.

Chris Gethard is a comedian, and there is much that is funny about his life. In this memoir, he explores, among other things, his time at Rutgers and how losing his AIM account drove him to the brink of madness; the time that he had the most satisfying colonic of his life; and finally breaking down and admitting that he is bipolar. No matter the embarrassment level or lack of humor in the situation, Gethard will find it and milk it--for your enjoyment.

It's hard to pick a favorite story, because several of them made me laugh out loud so hard I would have shot milk out of my nose if I actually drank milk. So funny, in fact, I would have drank milk just to shoot it out of my nose, that's how funny these stories were. It's a toss up between the time some kid at Princeton AIM-bombed him and he lost his account so he drove to Princeton to threaten him with this fellow Rutgers nerd-cronies and the time he tried to outrun a cop on side streets in New Jersey. Oh, and the colonic. That was quite hilarious. And anything with his mother. Ok, ok, never mind, I won't try to chose a favorite. They were all great. You should just see for yourself.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment