Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, February 7, 2014

The Rosie Project: A Novel

I had been hearing really great things about Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Project, so I grabbed it from the library. These people weren't lying.

Don Tillman is a professor of genetics and in search of a suitable partner with whom to spend his life. The only problem is that he rarely gets past a second date, and this is because of two reasons: he lacks the requisite social skills and he doesn't like the ladies he has taken out. He sets out on The Wife Project, armed with an extensive survey to weed out the unsuitables. It's only when Rosie comes into his life, the opposite of everything he is looking for in a partner from dress to attitude, that Don realizes, slowly and surely, that maybe he has been going about this all wrong the whole time. It is he that needs to learn how to love.

You. Guys. You have no idea how much I love this book. Maybe it's because I have a little bit of Don in me, maybe it's because I know a lot of people like me and Don, maybe it's because it's a damn good book. Who cares? This book is just fantastic.

I appreciate the honesty in this book. The rawness, the realness, and the absolute hilarity of what it's like to be around someone who genuinely has no social skills. But I loved, more than anything, the soul-searching that Don did throughout the book. The character arc is just stunning. Don's willingness by the end of the book to take a step away from what he understands and search deep down in his soul for an understanding of what love truly is was beautiful.

This book was an overall quick read but that doesn't mean that it lacks heart. This book felt like the reading equivalent of what I watched when I saw the Grinch's heart grow three sizes. (Was it three? Or was it two? Or does it matter? The image remains the same.) I recommended this book to all of my grad school friends, and all of my professor friends, but I can't imagine why everyone in the world wouldn't love this book.

Unfortunately, I think it's frightfully easy for so many of us to understand what it's like to push people out of our lives. (Me? No way. No issues here. Look away.) To identify with and to love so deeply the main character, and just stand by him while he learns to admit that he might care about somebody so far away from what it is he wants was just absolute delight.

So yeah, you should read this book. You'll like it.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment