Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, November 1, 2013

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns

Yes, my friends, even I love Miranda Priestly and her hardened, ice-cold stare. Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger.

When we last left Andy giving Miranda the kiss-off in Paris, she was soon-to-be-jobless, soon-to-be-single, and overall down on her luck. Things have turned out not so bad after all. A decade later she is married to publishing royalty, expecting a bundle of joy, and the editor in chief of her very own magazine with her best friend--Emily! When the two business partners receive word about a deal that could change their lives, Andy discovers that maybe she is not on the same page after all--with anyone in her life. Will Miranda's claws sink into her life once again? Or will Andy be able to hold her back and claim what is rightfully hers?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and earnest and fun. I am so happy that I picked it up in the middle of my exams; it was pure escapism. I loved languishing in Andy's new found wealth and her simple acceptance of it while still being herself. I loved that she had a man who loved her so much, and when she was betrayed I couldn't blame her. It was not overreacting; in fact, I say "was" betrayed instead of "felt" betrayed, because if you feel the initial hurt sucks, you just wait until you get to the end of the book.

I won't say much more since you will either read the book or you won't, probably based on whether or not you read the first. It's worth the ride if you just want to dive into a book and love some great characters for a while, because they are truly well-developed characters. I felt myself wanting to go home to finish reading the book. I cared about Andy and the gang, and I love when that happens. Weisberger has this fabulous way of not making you hate her characters regardless of how fabulous a life they live and you do not. It's what makes me pick up her next book, over and over again. It also makes me want to go find a rich husband.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right. And just for fun, the original too!

No comments:

Post a Comment