Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, December 13, 2013

The Rainmaker: A Novel

You didn't think I would get through the summer without a John Grisham novel, did you? Of course not. This is The Rainmaker.

Rudy Baylor is in his last semester of law school--broke, starving, and anxious to get his career started in a perfectly fine Memphis firm. During a clinic for what he calls his "old people law" class, he is approached by a couple whose son is dying due to an insurance company's refusal to pay for treatment. He is ready to hand off the case to another big-shot lawyer when he finds himself out of a job, out of his apartment, and a bankruptcy on his hands. This case is all he has left--and he finds the fraud runs much deeper than his clients and the case is much larger than he ever could have anticipated.

I will not shy away from telling you that the book is somewhat predictable; it's very much David versus Goliath and I am sure you have no doubt who will win. That does not, however, mean that I didn't have an enjoyable two days eating this book alive at the pool. It was classic Grisham, in that the little guy will come out ahead but not without a few bumps in the road. I appreciate this kind of tale, and it was very reminiscent of my Grisham beach book from last year. This means that I was able to kick back, relax, and let myself get swept away in this legal thriller with a willing suspension of disbelief.

There was also a subplot involving Rudy's romantic life which I thoroughly enjoyed. In most of Grisham's books that I have read thus far his protagonists have been married, so it was fun to read a book that involved a roundabout-type romance (nothing straightforward for this man!). Since I am not particularly a lover of bodice-ripper boy-meets-girl type books, it's nice to have the storyline woven into something that piques my interest (like a legal thriller where I can root for the underdog).

Was this book worth a beach read? Absolutely.

Get yo'self the novel below.

No comments:

Post a Comment