Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, September 16, 2013

Mother, Mother: A Novel

I love to be super creeped out by a book. Like, love it. So I obviously loved Koren Zailckas's Mother, Mother. [She says as she shivers.]

The Hurst family may seem perfect on the outside, but inside their home lurks a cruel and incessant monster--Josephine, the matriarch. She is as manipulative and narcissistic as it gets, and she gaslights her children and husband to the point where their psyche breaks them and they don't know reality from fiction. Rose, the oldest daughter, ran away from home just for some sanity. Her younger sister, Violet, is in a mental ward after supposedly attacking her younger brother, Will--the only thing is, she doesn't remember anything close to hurting him. What really happened the these three children?

Holy hell, even I at times couldn't tell fact from fiction and it was awesometown. I felt addicted to this book in the same way that Will, the youngest son, was addicted to his mother. I couldn't put it down because I couldn't believe what I was reading. The mystery was a spider's web woven so intricately that as soon as you stuck your hand through it you were attacked by a whole family of spiders. The tactics Josephine used to control her family sent chills down my spine, and when you find out the truth of the sophisticated mystery you will have your mind sufficiently blown. If not, then I have nothing else for you.

From the very beginning the characters owned me, and the alternation of the story between Will's and Violet's points of view was an excellent way to contrast the two sides of Josephine and to make you feel as though you are in a blender. Did Josephine really just blatantly lie? Is she really trying to sabotage her family? Or is everyone out to get her? I am sure you can figure out which, but still you keep on reading because you just simply can't believe a woman would go to these extremes for attention and reverence. (But never, ever, ever love--narcissists don't need love, only admiration.)

Kindle copy on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment