Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, September 9, 2013

Narcoland: The Mexican Drug Lords and Their Godfathers

This is a story that will knock your socks off while not surprising you. Anabel Hernandez's Narcoland is five years worth of investigation into the Mexican drug cartels and the political corruption that allowed them to proliferate.

After her father was kidnapped and killed, the police refused to investigate without a bribe. This prompted Hernandez to become one of the most prolific and feared journalists in Mexico. In this book, Hernandez turns her pen to the "war on drugs" that cost tens of thousands of lives in such a short time. This detailed account of those highest on the chain and their political connections reads like a horror story; no one, not even those highest in the Mexican government, is blameless in the drug trafficking. 

What. A. %&$#*^$. Piece. Of. Work. Seriously. Hernandez is a marvel of a journalist and one hell of investigator. I found my jaw on the subway floor most days this past week. I could have used a flow chart with all of the insanity that was happening in this account, but Hernandez's words flow off the page in such a riveting storytelling phenom-like way that I was with it the whole way through. People should be afraid of her. Her pen wields more power to destroy those who have caused so much destruction than all of the drug lords combined. I am thankful she's not investigating my life. I would fear her.

I was so saddened at the recounting of how drug crops are a way of life for so many families in Mexico; there is no other way to survive for many down south. You may think you understand what is happening in the country attached to our lower regions, but until you read this book you don't have a clue. The intricate weave of cartels is more than I could have ever imagined, and the political corruption will astound you. I didn't think I could ever be surprised again by this type of corruption, but low and behold it surpassed even my threshold. You might even be surprised to find out how the USA aided in the rise of the cartels.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment