Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Salinger Contract: A Novel

You may recall how much I loved Adam Langer's The Thieves of Manhattan a couple of years ago. (Has it really been two years???) When I read an excerpt of his new piece, The Salinger Contract, in the spring, I just about peed my pants in excitement. I promised myself I would do anything to get my hands on it. A huge thank you to the folks at Open Road Media for their help in this!

Adam, a writer with one successful novel under his belt, has always admired Connor Joyce. Joyce is the best selling author of a series of crime novels and is famous in his own right. Their relationship comes to a head when Joyce tells Adam a story that is all too unbelievable--that a wealthy patron has requested him to write a mystery novel for his eyes only to be kept in his personal library with those stories written by some of Joyce's literary heroes. Only after he agrees and holds up his end of the contract does Joyce discover the truth behind the deal--and there's nothing he can do to fix the mess he is now in.

I was recently trying to describe Langer's books to someone, and I was like, they are so meta, as though he isn't the actual narrator but is instead telling you something that happened to him, you know, as if this is a memoir, but the plots of his book are so crazy that there's no way this could happen in real life...but he is such an honest writer that...I guess...well, maybe it's possible that this is actually a thing...but nnnoooooo, we would have heard about the big events he talks about in his books...unless...

I was in it to win it with this book--hook, line, and sinker. I loved it. Like, genuinely in love. It is fast-paced, jaw-droppingly unreal, and wild beyond my expectations. (Trust me, those expectations were high!) Like Langer's Thieves, the suspension of disbelief becomes a given when you read this book. Things that seem completely outlandish and unrealistic turn on their heads and seem absolutely plausible, and that is in large part due to Langer's storytelling ability. He has this way of turning your expectations upside down so much so that you go into the next chapter saying, "Ok, buddy, I give up. What could possibly happen next?" You think nothing crazier could possibly happen and then it does. It's seriously mind-boggling. Who is this man?

A genius, that's who.

This book is absolutely, totally, completely worth your time. So click below and buy it already. Kindle version on the left, hard copy on the right. Get this book.

1 comment:

  1. Good review--thanks. I'm just starting the book and trying to get my bearings.

    ReplyDelete