Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories

For those of you out there, like me, who loved Wonder, then have I ever got the book for you. R.J. Palacio just released (yesterday!) Auggie & Me: Three Wonder Stories, and it's just what you have hoped for.

Wonder was the incredible story of a boy born with a craniofacial deformity who entered into public school. Those he knew in school, though, also have stories both before Auggie came and after the year was over. This book follows three of those characters: Julian the bully, Christopher the old friend, and Charlotte the new friend. These stories dig deeper into the characters that you grew to love and to hate in the original novel, and motivations are shown to be deeper than Wonder could have revealed.

This was such a lovely companion to the original novel. Palacio gives us an introduction explaining that there will not be a sequel to Wonder, only because it's so important to her readers to imagine where Auggie would be as he grows up. I loved that sentiment, and honestly, it may have been my favorite part of this book! Only because I love how much everyone loves Auggie, but I also love how much Palacio cares for her own characters.

That being said, I was impressed with this book. Julian's story told so much about the class bully that I was moved toward the end. It wasn't overwrought, but it certainly brought some context to who Julian was and his motivations. We knew in the original novel that his mother was probably a pain in the butt, and this story confirmed it. It was also super interesting to watch Julian's transformation over the summer visiting his Grandmere in Paris. Similarly, reading about Christopher and Charlotte was also eye-opening, and watching their character arcs through their own stories made for a superb companion piece for the life-affirming story of Auggie.

For those of you out there who use Wonder in your classrooms, consider adding in this companion piece. You will love it as much as I did.

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment