Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lois Lane: Fallout

OH MY GAWD. You have no idea. Just...amazing. This is Gwenda Bond's Lois Lane: Fallout

Lois Lane has been to more schools than she can count. Every time she walks in, she hopes this time will be different. She is brassy and honest, which doesn't always work to her advantage. This time, at Metropolis High, she is determined to blend in. That is, until her first morning when she calls out the principal on his refusal to stop a young woman from being bullied by the Warheads, a group of students who take conforming to a new level. Lois begins researching this for her new job at the city paper, with some help from her mysterious online friend SmallvilleGuy, and what she uncovers may be more dangerous than she could ever imagine.

I am madly in love with this book and I now want Gwenda to be my best friend. This story just blew me away on so many levels. The first being that it is a fantastic story. It is timely and catchy, with a focus on virtual reality headsets. It of course made me feel super old and all like, "Why would these kids want to spend time in virtual reality," and then I remembered that kids like video games and stuff. (I am not a Luddite by any means, but I'm not much of a gamer.) The story had a fantastic narrative arc in and of itself, and the integration of present day technology was just superb. I'm madly in love.

Another way that I loved this book was the weaving of Superman into the story while not focusing on the superhero as the crux of the story. He helped Lois, for certain, but this was Lois's story first and foremost. And even more than that, Lois was a strong young woman with her own flaws that never resulted in her needing saving, but rather in finding ways to work with those around her to solve the challenges she faced in trying to help her friend and seek truth. (Or capital-t Truth?) It was a true series of events that featured a strong young woman, and that alone is good enough for me to recommend this book.

See, Lois has a bit of a mouth on her. It's something I can relate to. I am a feisty young (ahem) woman who often gets into trouble by speaking my mind. I'm not alone in this, however, and I know this is something that a lot of young woman can relate to. It was such an absolute relief to read a book that showed a character who looked like me, sounded like me, and had to find ways to talk herself out of ridiculous yet important situations like me. This book was not just wonderful, but it was important to me. I could see myself in it. And for that, I am thankful to you, Gwenda.

So yeah. Worth picking up for the young adult woman in your life. 

For purchase below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment