Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, July 22, 2013

Countdown City

Countdown City by Ben H. Winters is the second book in The Last Policeman trilogy about the last days of the earth. [Happy squeal.]

Henry Palace is no longer a cop, which is just fine as far as he's concerned since an asteroid is scheduled to hit and destroy earth in 77 days. He spends his days hanging out with his dog, Houdini, and missing his sister who has joined one of those end-of-the-world cults. When his childhood babysitter calls in desperate need of help finding her missing husband, Henry agrees to find him out of an old loyalty. What the search leads him to find is unbelievable and completely normal all at the same time.

I. Loved. This. Book. It was weird and awesome and nail-biting and creepy and just like every day life except gone off the rails a bit since, you know, everyone is going to die and it will all be for the same reason at the same time. The asteroid hangs over everyone's heads as they go about their everyday lives--it is the often unspoken character in the book. It lent an ominous feeling to the writing which only enhanced the story and my love for it.

Winters is a fantastic writer, one whom I hope to keep seeing more from in the future. He reminds me a lot of some of my favorite writers; he has a way for writing in a realistic and a raw style that I eat up with a spoon. The action of the story was completely unexpected--in fact, we know what happens to the husband half-way through. It's just one peg in the board of insanity of the last days of Earth.

I feel a pull to go pick up the first book of the trilogy now because I just need to get more of his prose. (I picked up Countdown City pre-release at BEA.) I can't wait for the third book in the trilogy to come out. (Mr. Winters, may I puh-leeeeeeze get my hands on a copy this very second??? I can wait until tomorrow if I have to.)

I would like to encourage you all to check out Countdown City this month. If you love great writing, you will not be disappointed. If you love doomsday stories, thrillers, or otherwise crazy shenanigans, this book will be up your alley. You will not be let down.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment