Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Monday, July 8, 2013

Happy Second Birthday, Sassy Peach!

Wow, you guys! Two whole years of book reviews. Can you even believe it? This year has seen 159 posts, which averages out to 3 books per week. This does not count reading for school, either, which averaged about 350 pages of psychology and education reading per week between textbooks, articles, and prep for the two undergraduate courses I teach. And a few magazines here and there. (A few? What am I talking about? I read four monthlies and one weekly.)

Some amazing things that happened this year include starting my PhD program (and finishing my first year!), attending Book Expo America, and having the freedom to do nothing but read (and some research, of course) this summer.

You guys. We breezed past 10,000 views this second year, and this blog is now surpassing 1,200 views per month. That is amazing, and it is because of you. I can't thank you enough for your love and support and most of all, your reading. Keep doing it. Because really, I can't do this without you.

So, now onto the tradition I started last year, where I throw out (in no particular order) some of the best reads of which I had the pleasure of putting my eyes on this year. Note that not all of them were released in the past year (although many were)--but all of them were read by yours truly this year.

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler and Moira Kalman

The Burn Palace by Stephen Dobyns

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones

This Bright River by Patrick Sommerville

The Drowning House by Elizabeth Black

The Good Girls Revolt: How the Women of Newsweek Sued Their Bosses and Changed the Workplace by Lynn Povich

The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

What in God's Name? by Simon Rich

The Mansion of Happiness: A History of Life and Death by Jill Lepore

No comments:

Post a Comment