Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Reconstructing Amelia: A Novel

Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreigh. There is nothing else to introduce this book with because the book is awesome all by itself.

Kate is a single mother to fifteen-year-old Amelia. After Amelia is found dead of a presumed suicide by jumping off the roof of her school, Kate receives a harrowing text message that her daughter didn't kill herself. She doesn't know what to believe. In order to find out the truth, Kate must reconstruct her daughter's final months via texts, emails, and interviews. What she finds will break her heart, boil her anger into a rage, and give her answers to questions she never knew she had. 

This book kept me awake. I don't mean that figuratively, either. This book actually kept me awake. I read and read and read and read and read until 3am when I forced myself to dog-ear the page and attempt to sleep without thinking of picking up the book again until the next day. Which I did. Because I couldn't stop. Then the book kept me from doing work the next day. I stayed home and read until I finished. HOLY MOLY, YOU GUYS.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was this addicted to a book that I couldn't actually go to sleep. The story is so well-crafted and intricate that focus is a must. My eyes were like laser beams and my brain was like a computer, mulling over what I might thing this means and what I might thing would happen next.

I loved the character of Amelia as my own daughter, and I wanted to desperately to scream at her when she made decisions that I just knew were leading her to the inevitable conclusion. I wanted to reach into the book, grab her by the private-school polo collar, and scream at her to think about this decision long and hard. The adolescent years are so fraught with a desperation to fit in somewhere that kids are willing to make horrible decisions for just that shot of fitting in. How easy it is for me to sit here as an adult and want to tell Amelia that it's all right if those girls can't be trusted--just walk away. I want to say I would have. I can't say that's the truth.

Have you ever read a book and forgotten that the characters aren't actually real people? That's pretty much what happened the moment I started this story. It gripped me like a hand in a haunted house and I was so willing to go along with it because...well, because holy cow the story will blow your mind. 

Uuuuggghhhh, just go get the book. You can get it through the links below, but you seriously need to stop wasting time and read it for yourself. It is outstanding.

Kindle version on left, hard copy on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment