Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, August 9, 2013

Room 702

I lovedlovedloved the tagline--so I picked up the book. This is Room 702 by Ann Benjamin.

One year. One hotel room. Many stories--if these walls could speak. Beverly Hill's Winchester Hotel is an outstanding establishment that aims to please--customer's wishes are granted, discretion is implied, and luxury is guaranteed. Haven't you ever wondered what happens in your hotel room the other 365 days of the year you aren't there?

This was such an interesting book that I whipped through it in a matter of days. There are recurring stories, and a handful spread over days, but generally these stories are a one-night snapshot in a life. One man comes to commit suicide. A writer finds the key to unlocking writer's block. A woman comes happy and leaves destroyed. A happy couple celebrates their first night as husband and wife. A star unexpectedly overdoses with so much life ahead of him. The room holds so much love, so much joy, and so much pain. 

I really enjoyed the chronological aspect of this novel, telling me stories as people check in, as they already stay there, and as they are leaving. Some come for a week, some come for an hour. I got to know the hotel staff as well as the guests, and there were times where I felt if only I could ring the front desk I might be able to prevent the inevitable from happening. This was a charming read, and I felt emotionally spent after putting it down. I was able to care about people only to have them whisked away, never knowing what happened to them. But that's part of the deal--when you work in hospitality, it's only a few moments you have to know someone's life. 

Kindle version for purchase below. It's a steal at $2.99!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for reading! Really appreciate your feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete