Featured Post

Sassy Peach Goes to Kindergarten: Happy 5th Birthday!

Wow! We made it! Half a decade! That's crazy talk. I said to a friend the other day how much I couldn't believe how far I've com...

Friday, March 29, 2013

The Green Mile: A Novel

This book truly affected me deep down in my soul. Stephen King is one of my favorite writers anytime/anywhere, and this book, The Green Mile, had me on the floor in tears.

In a small town prison in the 1930's, a gentle giant is sentenced to death row for the rape and murder of twin nine-year-old girls. Everyone is aware that he didn't do it, but that is beside the point. This is the most intriguing, beguiling man to ever enter the doors of Cold Mountain Penitentiary. Who is this man? Why is he so gentle? How can he care about people as much as he does for being such a supposed monster? And why does the errant little mouse loose in the ward love him so much? Told from the point of view of Paul Edgecomb, the head of the ward, this tale of love, hope, and faith will keep you hanging on until the end.

Very few novels have had me beside myself to the point where I literally could not see the page in front of my face because my eyes were too full of tears. This novel owned me. With approximately 40 pages to the end, I had to stop and have a humongous cry, then calm myself down, allow the heaving to relax into normal breathing, then pick up this book (albeit tentatively) to finish. This was the most genuine, raw, and difficult reading experiences of my life, and I mean that in the most wonderful way possible.

It is no secret at this point that King is one of my top-five favorite authors of all time. I think he is one of the most brilliant writers to ever live, and I feel that this book is (in my very humble opinion) the defining crown in his cap. I read this book for the first time in 2005 and it has stayed with my heart and my soul since. I hear someone mention this book and I gasp out loud. I credit this book in some small part to my compassion and moral development, and I only hope that you take some time this summer to pick it up and experience it for yourself. You will not regret the time you spend with Cold Mountain Penitentiary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment